Sponsoring Organization: MSUE
Date: Saturday, August 13, 2016
Start Time: 8:00 AM
End Time: 4:00 PM
Location : Kent/MSU Extension 775 Ball Avenue, NE Grand Rapids, MI. 49503
Description of the Event: Although some insects might be considered pests, an even greater number are essential to our food supply and the environment. Learn how you can identify, create habitat for and nurture the world's largest workforce—-Pollinators and Beneficial insects.
- An introduction to the wide range of bee species that inhabit gardens—recognizing bees, wasps and other pollinators
- Common predators and parasitoids in the yard and garden
- Bee ecology and habitat
- Increasing floral resources for pollinators with the right selection of plants
- The buzz on bees-bee decline; Fact vs. Fiction
- Outdoor lab—hands-on field experience
- 6 hours Approved Pesticide Credits: Comm & Private Core, 3A, 3B, 6
(Includes: lunch, refreshments and handouts)
- Rebecca Finneran, MSU Extension Educator
- Dr. Rufus Isaacs, Department of Entomology, Michigan State University
- Dr. Jason Gibbs, Department of Entomology, Michigan State University
- Dr. Dave Smitley, Department of Entomology, Michigan State University
- Class is limited to 62 participants and your seat is not reserved until your balance is paid in full.
- REGISTRATION deadline is Aug. 1, 2016 or when class is full. Sorry, no registrations at the door.
Education Credit Hours: 6